These minutes may be approved or amended at the March 12, 2018 Board of Education meeting.The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, February 12, 2018, in the Board of Education Office, 124 W. Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Vicki Coash at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Vicki Coash, PresidentNorm Wilks, Vice PresidentRyan CarsonMonty HugheyHeather NicholsTom StorrerSharon WaughOthers Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkLevi Yager, Butler County Times GazetteJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyKellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesKevin House, EHS PrincipalRina Frye, Grandview TeacherLinda Johnson, Grandview CounselorDebbie Smith, Grandview TeacherNancy Wagner, Grandview LibrarianJessica Jensen, Grandview TeacherSusan Holthaus, Grandview PrincipalShelsea Terrones, Grandview AideTodd Miller, EHS TeacherCallie Carter, StudentPam Cartwright, SBA HospitalChase Locke, SBA HospitalJohn Grundy, El Dorado YMCAJessica Rall, El Dorado YMCATim Connell, PatronEmily Connell, PatronCarolyn Dwire, PatronLori Hanks, PatronLora Meirowsky, EHS TeacherDave Stewart, Gravity:Works Architects
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Vicki Coash moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss negotiations preparation pursuant to the exception for employer-employee negotiations under KOMA with Board members, Superintendent, and Director of Fiscal & Support Services present. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.Tom Storrer entered the meeting at 6:06 p.m.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Monty Hughey made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Ryan Carson, the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, January 8, 2018 Regular meetingMinutes, January 29th, 2018 5th Monday MeetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEHS/EMS Activity ReportsInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• KASB Publication Awards – Kim Koop, Certificates of Merit; • Friends of Education – Tim Connell, Community Leader; El Dorado YMCA, Business/Partner Activities; Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital, Community/Civic Organization. • Prudential Spirit of Community Award – Callie Carter, State runner-up. • President’s Volunteer Service Award – Callie Carter
• Grandview Elementary - Principal Susan Holthaus shared Grandview student demographics. MTSS Leadership Team members Jessica Jensen, Rina Frye, Linda Johnson, Debbie Smith, Shelsea Terrones, and Nancy Wagner shared indicators and progress on their School Improvement Plan. Ryan Carson left the meeting at 6:52 p.m.• EHS Elective Trailers – Julie Jensen shared that the 2018-19 EHS course book is available and how staff and students have created digital trailers of class electives to aid students in making course selections.• Construction Projects – David Stewart, Gravity:Works Architecture, provided color schemes for the new Grandview, Blackmore, and Performing Arts Center projects.Norm Wilks left the meeting at 7:25 p.m.Norm Wilks returned to the meeting at 7:28 p.m.Monty Hughey left the meeting at 7:27 p.m.
9. 2018-19 Academic Calendar
The proposed calendar as recommended by the District Calendar Committee was presented for consideration.Tom Storrer made a motion to approve the 2018-2019 Academic Calendar as presented. Heather Nichols seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.
10. Science Resource Adoption
EHS Science Teacher Todd Miller and Executive Director of Curriculum Julie Jensen presented recommendations for grades K-12 curriculum resource materials. District Leadership Team has endorsed the adoption.Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve grades K-12 Science resource adoption as recommended. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 5-0.
11. City Lease Agreement
A lease agreement for use of McDonald Stadium and East Park was presented. The three-year agreement replaces a usage agreement last negotiated in 2009.Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the lease agreement with the City of El Dorado for use of McDonald Stadium and East Park Softball Complex. Seconded by Norm Wilks, the motion carried 5-0.
12. FY18 Amended Budget
Director of Fiscal & Support Services Kellen Adams explained audit adjustments to the FY18 Budget that requires republication and a hearing in order to access maximum state funding authority.Norm Wilks made a motion to approve publication of notice for a public hearing on Monday, March 12, 2018 at 5:45 p.m. regarding the amended FY18 Budget as presented. Seconded by Tom Storrer the motion carried 5-0.
13. Executive Session
At 7:50 p.m. Vicki Coash moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 20 minutes to discuss individual employees’ performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exemption with Board members and the Superintendent present. Sharon Waugh seconded themotion. The motion carried 5-0.The board returned to general session at 8:10 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
14. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0. ReplacementJason Hamm, High School Spring Assistant Athletic Director, replacing Ryan Hull;James Harbes, High School Evening Custodian, replacing Heather Delancey;Chris Houseman, High School/Middle School Assistant Track Coach;Isaac Pantoja, Middle School Assistant Soccer Coach, replacing Chuck Haahr;Nicole Purcell, Evening Custodian at Grandview Elementary, replacing Pat McAdoo;Jason Williams, High School Head Girls Soccer Coach, replacing himself;Jason Williams, 7th Grade Boys Assistant Basketball Coach, replacing Jason Hamm;ResignationRyan Demel, High School Assistant Golf Coach;Brian Engelken, District Activities/Athletic Director;Jason Hamm, 7th Grade Boys Assistant Basketball Coach;Evan Hearn, Middle School Boys PE/Health Teacher, Head Wrestling Coach, Assistant Track Coach;Chelsea Helena, High School Head Volleyball Coach;Lisa Lechtenberg, High School Assistant Volleyball Coach;Nicole Snyder, Sub Custodian;Susan Vanderpool, Server at Lincoln Elementary;RetirementGail Williams, Health Room Secretary at El Dorado High School;Substitute TeacherClarence Doelling, Leeann Morris;TransferJamie McDonnell, from Food Service sub to Server at Lincoln Elementary;
15. Administrative Contracts
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve extensions to administrative contracts for: Kellen Adams, Trista Cuthbertson, Jenifer Davis, Susan Holthaus, Kevin House, Doug Jensen, Julie Jensen, Karla King, Morgan Marsh, Stan Ruff, and Chad Schuetz. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 5-0.
• February 13 & 15 – Parent/Teacher Conferences• February 15-16 – No School• February 19 – President’s Day (No School)• March 2 – Science Fair• March 11 – Daylight Savings Time Begins
Board President Vicki Coash adjourned the meeting at 8:12 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS