These minutes may be approved or amended at the October 10, 2016 Board of Education Meeting.
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, September 12, 2016, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Vicki Coash at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present:Vickie Coash Monty HugheyBernie SpradlingTom StorrerNorm Wilks Members Absent: Scott StarkeyOthers Present: Sue Givens, Superintendent Melissa Smith, Board ClerkKellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyRyan Carson, PatronMatthew Guthrie, PatronRachelle Hildreth, TeacherLindsay Cooper, TeacherKent Kunkel, TeacherTiffany Lippoldt, TeacherStan Ruff, PrincipalChad Schuetz, PrincipalCarolyn Dwire, PatronEmily Connell, PatronJan Weber, Elementary CounselorKatie McCouch, TeacherSamantha Beard, StudentMatt Cooper, Butler County Times GazetteOlivia Haselwood, Andover Leader
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Board President Vicki Coash moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss matters of non-elected personnel in order to protect the privacy rights of the individuals to be discussed, with Board members and the Superintendent present. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum. Seconded by Monty Hughey, the motion carried 5-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Agenda
Monty Hughey made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda as stated below, omitting the Construction Management At-Risk Contract. Bernie Spradling seconded the motion; the motion carried 5-0.Minutes of August 8, 2016 regular meetingMinutes of August 23rd, 2016 Special meetingMinutes of August 29th, 2016 Special meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, C Credit Card Report Activity Reports2016-17 Site CouncilsEarly Graduation Requests Information
6. Comments from the Public7. Recognition
• School Bell Award Winner – Rachelle Hildreth
• Skelly UpdatePrincipal Stan Ruff shared Skelly’s building demographics. Katie McCouch, Speech Pathologist, and Samantha Beard, student, shared information on Skelly’s Student Leadership Team. Comprised of one fourth grader and two fifth graders from each class, students are provided opportunities to participate in leadership opportunities and events to better the school. • Technology UpdateDoug Jensen, Executive Director of Technology, provided an update on technology initiatives in the district, including 2nd grade iPad rollout, 11th and 12th grade upgrades to MacBook Air, an updated phone system at El Dorado High School, and utilizing Facebook and YouTube to promote USD 490 programs and events. USD 490 is now 1:1 K-12.• Construction UpdateDesign meetings with parents have been conducted and staff will have the opportunity for design input in upcoming meetings. An agreement has been made for Construction Management At-Risk contract and documents are being reviewed by legal counsel. Civil engineering firms have been selected. Kellen Adams provided an update on financials.
9. Elementary Physical Education
Wellness Committee Members Chad Schuetz, Kent Kunkel and Tiffany Lippoldt and District Wellness Coordinator, Lindsay Cooper, presented research to support the recommendation of the addition of a third elementary physical education teacher to improve the district effort in this area critical to student health, welfare, and achievement. In addition, Sue Givens discussed the need for an additional music teacher beginning next year. Bernie Spradling made a motion to approve the addition of a third elementary physical education teacher for this year as well as a third elementary music teacher for the 2017-2018 year. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.
10. Board Vacancy
Questionnaires distributed to those who have applied for the open position were provided. Bernie Spradling made a motion to appoint Ryan Carson to the USD 490 Board of Education. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 4-1.
11. Haverhill Beautification Committee Request
Norm Wilks made a motion to not make a contribution to the Haverhill Beautification Committee. Bernie Spradling seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.The issue of a need for a monument sign was referred to the Educational Facilities Authority for capital needs prioritization.
12. Approve USD 490 Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations with addendum. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0. Additional Duties/SupplementalRachel Rosales, EMS 7th Grade Assistant Volleyball Coach;Travis Wyss, EHS Head Girls Golf Coach;EmploymentSitalben Bhakta, Food Service Sub;Christina Dabbour, Bus Aide;Alex Knoblauch, Sub Custodian; Heather Knowles, Bus Aide; Steven Smith, Sub Custodian/Maintenance;Lyle Waldron, Bus Driver;ResignationAmy Beard, Food Service Sub;Rebecca Boender, Food Service Sub;Twila Eidson, Food Service at El Dorado Middle School;Rosalina Foust, EHS Assistant Boys & Girls Soccer Coach;Robert Hall, EHS Assistant Football Coach;Pam Haskins, EHS Food Service;Ryan Hull, EHS Assistant Boys Tennis Coach;Robert Janssen, Evening Custodian at El Dorado Middle School;Karl Johnson, Evening Custodian at El Dorado Middle School (Job Abandonment);Julie Jones, EMS Assistant Track Coach;Sedina Rardin, Building Aide at Lincoln Elementary;Brad Schafer, EHS Assistant Track Coach;Renee Skinner, Secretary at El Dorado Middle School;ReplacementAshley Andrews, Food Service at Lincoln Elementary, replacing Paulette Porter;Matthew Bertsch, Evening Custodian at El Dorado Middle School, replacing Karl Johnson;Stacey Bertsch, EHS Food Service, replacing Peggy King;Mario Flores, EHS Assistant Girls and Boys Soccer Coach, replacing Rosalina Foust;Ashley Hill, Building Aide at Skelly Elementary, replacing Heather Comer;Chelsea Jones, Building Aide at Lincoln Elementary, replacing Sedina Rardin;Lisa Lechtenberg, EHS Assistant Volleyball Coach, replacing Alyssa Riffel;Rachel Rosales, 8th Grade Girls Assistant Basketball Coach, replacing Misty Jeffress;Douglas Yates, Evening Custodian at El Dorado High School, replacing Greg Franklin;RetirementKim Murry, half-time 4-Yr-Old Program Teacher at Jefferson Elementary;TransferRebecca Boender, from Bus Aide to Driver (No CDL);Dorothy Cooper, from Food Service Sub to Food Service at El Dorado Middle School, replacing Twila Eidson;Heather Knowles, from Driver (No CDL) to Bus Aide;Pam Rosen, from half-time to full-time 4-Yr-Old Teacher at Jefferson, replacing Kim Murry;Substitute TeachersDustin Garner, Lydia Gates, Carolyn Meyers, Carolina Russell, Jenna Vice, Aaron Waldorf
• September 17 – PIE Clay Shoot• September 24 - Walnut River Festival• September 30 - Early Dismissal & Homecoming Parade
II. AdjournmentBoard President Vicki Coash adjourned the meeting at 7:52 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS